Monday, July 23, 2012

Germany

This weekend I decided to head to Munster, Germany.  (I can't figure out how to put the umlaut over the "u".)  It is an adorable town when not everyone speaks English.  I ended up doing a lot of pointing at menus.

I stayed at a hotel that is on old brewery.  It was very debilitated factory looking.

But they had some awesome decorations.  (This is the ceiling of the lobby.)

And my room was pretty nice. And it had a big pink bean bag chair.  I can say I have never seen that in America.

The first night I was there I walked into town and stumbled on a flea market/fair.

I drank some beer and tried to figure out how I could get this gem back to America if I bought it.

I then wandered around town and took a million pictures.  Especially of the churches (of which there were ton).  All the pictures are up on my facebook if you want to see more.

I soon got tired and realized I hadn't eaten all day.  So I headed back towards the hotel to eat.  On the way I stopped at the grocery store to stock up on German candy.

I ate at this little restaurant next to the hotel.  I pointed at the menu to order a carafe of wine.  Turns out it was a whole bottle.  It would have been rude for me not to finish it.  Good thing I only had to walk a few hundred feet to get to my room.

The next day I went to the Picasso museum.  (This was the reason I picked Munster.)  The museum has a lot of his lithographs and graphic work.  The exhibit they had up was of his work in the theater and in politics.  Including this famous piece.

They also have the original of my newest tattoo.  These pictures just do not do justice to his work, even his lithographs.  I am always amazed how much emotion he could communicate with just a few lines.

Plus it was so nice to go to a museum and look at what I wanted to look at and to not learn a damn thing.  I just enjoyed the art. 

The museum also had an exhibit of German expressionists.  There was a series by Max Beckmann called Beckmann's Circus.

I also discovered an artist that I fell in love with.  His name is Hap Grieshaber.  He worked mostly in woodcuts.  They were amazing.  (Sorry the picture is so blurry.  I got caught taking photos at this point and had to sneakily take this one with my phone.  Art crimes.)

The next day I headed back to Amsterdam.  But not before catching this quality shot.  I swear I thought the statue was helping them read their map.

No comments:

Post a Comment