Wednesday, June 20, 2012

First few days in Amsterdam

After landing in Amsterdam two days ago we started to get to know the city, which can be a bit difficult if you don't know the language.  Plus the Dutch seem to have forgotten vowels in some words only to add extras in others.  But the importance of getting toilet paper was like a beacon in the night.  This is the windmill we walk by to go to the grocery store.  Cause windmills should always be on the way to any grocery store.  This is a much better landmark than Ypsi's brick dick.


 The next day we went to the University of Amsterdam and got all our paperwork and everything (exciting I know).  Then a few of us decided to sit in a cafe (cafes are coffee - coffeeshops are weed by the way) on a canal.

I took advantage of the wifi to check my messages and found out that my dad had passed away about an hour before.  This is the view I will always remember as associated with this horrible news.  When it comes down to it, its not a bad one.  Plus the people who were with me were absolutely amazing after being presented with the shocking news that I had lost my father.  I was in good hands.

 That night we went for a dinner (payed for by the University of Washington thank god).  I enjoyed a huge plate of wild vegetable mash.  When I asked the chef was the vegetable was he said he couldn't remember the name in English.  Another adventure in eating.  But it was delicious.


The next day we woke up early to go rent bikes.  This is the first bike I have had since I was a kid.  And I don't have to wear a stupid helmet with this one.
 We then started our walking tour of Central Amsterdam.  This room is the first meeting room of the Dutch East India Company that started in 1602.  It is located in the college.  Its a bit of an old building.  This is also where the Dutch invented the stock market.  But apparently we are not allowed to blame them for any current problems.

 We then went through the red light district (sorry, no photos allowed there).  Smack dab in the middle of all the prostitutes is the oldest building in the Netherlands, a church of all things.  It is called the "Old Church" (or Oude Kerk) and was dedicated in 1306.  It is under restoration almost constantly, but there was still plenty to see.

 This is a shot from inside the church.  Some of the windows are stain glass because they survived the iconoclastic riots where protestants destroyed images of Mary and Saints. 

 The stain glass that survived usually showed images of Jesus or non-religious subject matter.  These were not as offensive to the Protestants.








Notice the three x's in a column.  That is the symbol of Amsterdam and it is everywhere.
 Of course I had to point out to a few people that we were walking all over dead bodies.  People believed (and still do) that the closer they are to sacred ground when they are buried the faster they will get to heaven when Jesus has his second coming.  Nothing is closer than a church floor.  There were some of the most amazing designs on some of the stone slabs.  One even had a skull.

Also, Rembrandt's wife is buried here.

While wondering around this church I had a moment of missing my Dad intensely.  I had to separate myself from the group to have a moment.  But I could tell he was there enjoying the church with me.


 In the choir stalls there all these carvings of proverbs that are popular among the Dutch.  This one shows their version of our "money doesn't grow on trees".  To them it is "money doesn't fall out of your ass".  I think I like that one better.

Amsterdam has the largest concentration of museums in Europe.  We decided to briefly stop by one on the way to lunch, the Condom Museum.  If anyone needs anything let me know.
 Next to the place we had lunch was a mall.  Except this mall used to be a prison.  At this prison they made the men dye fabric in an attempt to reform them. (I wonder if that worked at all.)
 Finally we got some lunch.  That's right.  We had fries.  These fries are rumored to be the best in Amsterdam and possibly the world.  I have to say I think they might be right.  Plus you get to pick between eight different sauces including American sauce (ketchup) and two different kinds of Mayo.  I went with Satay (peanut) sauce.  Amazing.  Although I think I am really starting to like mayo on my fries.  Especially Belgian mayo.  Just don't tell anyone.


After that we biked back to our apartments and got to enjoy the rest of the afternoon off.  I took the time to finally unpack.  I'm pretty sure I brought way too much clothing.  Tomorrow it is the Van Gogh museum.  Now that I can't wait for.



No comments:

Post a Comment